Each student must have a personal computer capable of running the necessary software and applications used in our curriculum. The standards listed below are the minimum necessary for a student to successfully participate in this program. All computer-related support, troubleshooting and updates will be the student’s responsibility. Purchase of a service plan matching the duration of the program is highly suggested.
Students eligible for federal financial aid may be able to increase their financial aid budget to cover the cost of a computer. You can learn more through the budget increase guidelines. If you have any questions about financial aid or the budget increase process, please contact Financial Aid for additional information at firstname.lastname@example.org or 757.446.5804.
- Laptop cannot be more than 2 years old
- Processor: Minimum dual core
- RAM: Minimum 4 GB
- 60 GB SATA hard drive or greater
- Screen resolution: 1024x768
- Either an internal CD/DVD drive or an external USB CD/DVD drive
- Wireless card that supports 802.11 a/b/g/n (additional support for 802.11ac is preferred)
- Netbooks, iPads and other tablets are not viable choices to fulfill the computing requirements
- Windows 7, 8, 8.1, or 10 (32 or 64 bit) Home Premium or higher is recommended
- Mac OSX 10.8.x, 10.10.4 or 10.11 will likely work
- PC: Microsoft Internet Explorer version 9 and Mozilla Firefox
- Mac: Safari versions 9.0.3 or higher and Mozilla Firefox
- Do not use beta versions of these browsers
- Microsoft Office 2010 Standard Edition or higher
- External storage device for data backup
Epidemiology Track Students
SAS software will be used in the Epidemiology curriculum and is provided by the MPH program. SAS will only work in Windows. If you have a Mac, you can install Windows by the following methods:
- Dual booting using Boot Camp
- Virtual machine software such as VMWare Fusion or Parallels
- The EVMS Network Information Center does not provide support with VMWare Fusion or Parallels.
Students can receive a discount on these items on the EVMS portal.