Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I don't have residents, does this information still apply to me?

A: Most cases, the Graduate Medical Education Office uses the ACGME Definition of residents: Any physician in an accredited graduate medical education program, including interns, residents, and fellows.

Exception: when providing numerical data in requested reports, the GME Office requests that the individual/office requesting be very specific in the question that is asked. For instance the following two questions will provide different results:

  • I need the number of all residents in ACGME accredited program.
    • Limited to those in approximately 30 programs
  • I need the number of all trainees in all accredited and/or board approved programs.
    • Includes ACGME, APA, and CPME accredited programs, as well as 2-3 board approved program
Onboarding Trainees

Q: What types of VISA's does EVMS accept?

A: EVMS GME accepts all J-1 VISA's. Other VISA types depend on where the individual went to medical school.

  • United States Medical School: Residents who graduate from a United States Medical School on an F-1 VISA may switch over to an H-1 VISA with only notification to the Vice Dean for Graduate Medical Education and the GME Office.
  • Non-United States Medical School: Residents who graduated from a non-US Medical School, requesting that they come in on an H-1 VISA requires the approval of the Vice Dean for Graduate Medical Education, prior to the individual being offered a trainee slot or being ranked in the NRMP Match.

Q: We are conducting interviews.  How do we get parking stickers for our candidates?

A. Complete this form no later than 2 weeks prior to your interview dates.  Once your stickers are available, you will be contacted by Amanda Parker to arrange delivery/pick up.

Q. When a new trainee Onboards, why do they receive the checklist at different intervals?

A. The Onboarding checklist are staggered for 2 main reasons.  The initial checklist that a trainee receives is given first because the information in this checklist feeds many hospital, GME and institutional reports. Also, by collecting it first, it reduces the number of times a trainee has to duplicate information. The remaining checklist are on a time release either because of Department request (such as HR or Occ Health) or the actions of that checklist is time sensitive (such as eCare's no earlier than 30 days rule)

Q. What forms are required to get a Virginia State Temporary license?  Who supplies each form?

A: There are a multiple forms needed to complete the Virginia State Temporary license application. They are listed below with who is responsible for completing each form. 

  • Form A: This form is completed by the EVMS Program Coordinator/Director
  • Form B: This form is completed by the Trainee's medical school. This is not required for ECFMG certificate holders or a psychology intern.
  • License application: This is completed by the Trainee.  A picture is included on the first page and the last page notarized unless you are obtaining a permanent license or a psychology intern
  • ECFMG certificate: Required for trainees who are foreign medical graduates
  • Medical School Diploma: Required for trainees who are foreign medical graduates (translated into English)
  • Payment: The $55 processing fee is generated by the GME office once we receive all of the above forms

(Back To Top)

Current Trainees

Q. My trainee recently got married.  How do I change their name?

A. There are 2 processes to change a trainee's name - with HR and with GME.  To change a name with Human Resources, a trainee will need to bring their new social security card, marriage license and new id to the HR office. Once the documents are received, HR will print a new badge and officially change the name within their system and with payroll.  To change a name with GME, a trainee can email a copy of their new social security card, marriage license and ID to Candice George ( Once the documents are received, The GME Office will complete the necessary forms with the Board of Medicine, New Innovations, Oracle, IRIS, CHKD, eCare Security and the Network Center. The Board of Medicine takes about a week to update their records.  If a license reprint is needed, there is a $5 fee.  The trainee will also need to log into their NPI account, within 30 days, and make the change.

 Q. I have a trainee who will be going out on maternity leave.  What is the process?

The first step is for the trainee to send an email to HR, Pamela Briggs (BriggsPL@EVMS.EDU), copying the GME Office, Candice George ( requesting the FMLA paperwork.  Please include the training program and due date. An email, also, needs to be sent to the GME Office, Candice George, with the balance of the trainee's vacation and sick time.  A trainee's maternity leave will be a combination of vacation and sick time.  If more time is needed, the trainee will go on unpaid leave. Keep in mind, going over the leave limit may extend a trainee's Program time.

(Back To Top)


Terminate/Transfer Trainees

Q. My trainee is terminating early/late for some reason.  Who do I inform?

A. Trainees leave early or stay late for many reasons. Once you are aware that this is happening, send an email to Candice George (  An action sheet, which can take up to 3 weeks to process through the system, needs to be completed by the GME Office to ensure pay and benefits are turned off at the appropriate time. A missed termination date can lead to the trainee having to pay back compensation. Also, if a trainee is extending their time at EVMS and they are on a training license, at least 2 weeks notice is needed to renew and update the Board of Medicine with the change.

(Back To Top)



(Back To Top)


New Innovations Related

Q. Where can I find my Trainee's renewal contract after it is signed?

A. Once approved by the GME Office, the contract will be uploaded to the Personnel module of New Innovations (personnel>personnel record>contracts).  It cannot be accessed by the Trainee, only a Level 5/6.  The original will be filed within the GME Office.


Q. A new person has joined my Program's faculty.  How do I add them to New Innovations?

A. Follow these breadcrumbs in New Innovations to add a new faculty member - Personnel>Add New Person.  Add the new faculty members personal information. Make sure the work role states "faculty". Continue with the adding process.  Once complete the person will go into a "pending" status until approved by GME.  GME doesn't receive notifications of when a person is added. Please email of the addition to notify Candice George and Amanda Parker. One of these two will confirm and then advance your new faculty member.


Q. A current faculty member has joined my Program.  How do I get them privileges in NI?

A. Simple - An email is to be sent to notifying Candice George and Amanda Parker of your need.. One of these two will confirm and then advance your new faculty member's Ni privileges.