ACGME SWOT Analysis - Continuous Educational Improvement
Strengths and Weakness are internal to the program
- The APE assists programs in identifying the strengths and weakness of the program. The identified weakness require corrective action plans (APE Section 6)
- Successive APEs tell the program story across time and are used to identify strengths/weakness of the program and success of corrective actions
APE Sections 1 and 6
- Strengths and Weakness are not reported in Self-Study but discussed during Site Visit
Opportunities are external to the program
(Factors beyond the immediate control of the program that if able to act on would contribute to the success of the program.)
- Determined based on information gathered during the APE/Self-Study.
- Opportunities are external to the program (consider both for current program and for Aims).
- May be either explored and unable to act upon, or not as of yet explored.
- What are those opportunities that would enhance the current program and assist in meeting our Aims?
- What are the obstacles to taking advantage of the opportunities?
- How could we take advantage of the unrealized opportunities?
Examples of Unrealized Opportunities
- Relationship with Federally Qualified Health Center to start new primary care track
- Assess/enhance relationships with other departments such as comprehensive cross-specialty patient safety initiative.
- Caring for a socioeconomically disadvantaged population for developing curriculum in socioeconomic determinants of health.
- New educational technology.
Threats are external to the program
(Factors beyond the immediate control of the program that are real or potential threats facing the program)
- Determined based on information gathered during the APE/Self-Study
- Threats are external to the program (consider both for current program and for Aims)
- What are those threats which are either endangering the success of the program or would keep the program from reaching identified Aims?
- What are the obstacles to reducing the threats?
- What actions can be taken to mitigate the effects of the threats?
Examples of Threats
- Reduction in federal support for GME
- Loss of key faculty members
- Loss of clinical learning sites that provide access to special populations
- Clinical burden of faculty
Affects time and energy for teaching and supervision