Military Commissioning & Recognition Ceremony
Thursday, May 14, 2020 • 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. • USS Wisconsin
EVMS graduates serving in the Armed Forces are sworn in as officers or officially recognized during this formal ceremony. This outdoor event is held aboard the USS Wisconsin berthed at Nauticus and is open to military graduates, their guests, and the EVMS campus community. Seating is limited to the first 150 guests.
Eligible participants include military graduates who meet the following criteria:
- Doctor of Medicine and Master of Public Health graduates who will be commissioned as an Officer following Graduation in the United States Armed Forces.
- Master of Physician Assistant graduates who will be recognized, as they will not be formally commissioned until requirements are completed at a later date.
- Eligible branches: United States Air Force, United States Army, United States Navy (those branches with medical corps)
If you meet the criteria listed above, you may register your participation and guests' attendance using the registration link below. All other students, faculty and staff may register below as well. Please note that all faculty and graduates with former and current military service will be recognized at EVMS Commencement with an honor cord that will be issued with academic regalia and worn during the Ceremony.
- Military graduates from the Doctor of Medicine and Master of Public Health programs should wear their service dress uniforms for their respective military branch.
- Military graduates from the Master of Physician Assistant program should wear business attire and their white coats, as they will not be formally commissioned until requirements are completed at a later date.
- Retired military personnel may wear dress uniforms. All uniform and grooming standards apply as if on active duty.
- Civilian guest dress code is business attire.
Parking is available at Plume Street, Main Street or at several nearby City of Norfolk parking garages. View parking options and fees here. At times, a flat fee (cash only) is required upon entry. You can also ride The Tide, Norfolk's light rail system, which extends from the Eastern Virginia Medical Center complex through downtown Norfolk. Learn more about how to Ride The Tide.
In the case of inclement weather on the day of the ceremony, the rain location for this ceremony is McCombs Auditorium in Lewis Hall on the Eastern Virginia Medical Center. Please be sure to check back here on the day of the ceremony for any location changes.
Event registration will open in late March.
For any questions about eligibility or information about the event, please contact Abby Bailey at 757-446-6174 or BaileyRA@evms.edu.