You have worked hard, endured unprecedented events and achieved a lifelong dream. Now, it's time to celebrate and participate in EVMS' Virtual Commencement Ceremony!
Virtual Commencement will begin at 10 a.m. EDT and is expected to last about 2 hours. Pre-show streaming content will begin at 9:40 a.m. EDT.
The honor roll of students will last 1 hour. Graduates from the School of Health Professions will be presented first, by highest degree then by the remaining academic programs based on the year they were established at EVMS. Graduates from the School of Medicine will follow. Graduate names are listed by academic programs in the order in which they will be presented, beginning on page 31 of the Commencement program. You may also refer to the Order of Exercises.
Tune into Commencement
The Virtual Ceremony will be streamed on the following media:
- BlueJeans - easily accessed on evms.edu/commencement
- Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/EVMSedu
- YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/user/EasternVaMedSchool
Don your Regalia
If you ordered your regalia by the March 15 deadline, you should have received your regalia by Commencement Day. If you have an international mailing address or placed your order after March 15, your regalia may arrive after May 15. It is yours to keep for formal portraits, photos with family and friends, and to wear in the future should you decide to return to EVMS to walk in an in-person Commencement ceremony in the next 5 years.
If you received your regalia in time, here are instructions for wearing it to the Virtual Commencement. After donning your robe...
- HOODS - Master's-level candidates should don their hoods prior to the start of the ceremony; Doctoral-level candidates will be instructed when to don their hoods during the ceremony. You can do this yourselves, or ask someone to assist you.
- Front: Place the narrowest part of the hood over the graduate's head - velvet facing up, black cord facing down.
- Back: Turn the inside satin panels to face outward. Fasten the black cord around the button on the opposite side.
- MORTARBOARD (Master's) - Your cap should be worn so that the mortarboard is parallel with the ground, with the tassel placed to the left.
- TAM (Doctoral) - The tam should be worn with one of the corners facing forward, bringing a point between your eyes. Adjust the top of the tam to have a slight tilt to the right. The top should have a slight puff to it.
- TASSEL: Should be worn to the left (Note: there is no turning of the tassel from right to left for Master's and Doctoral level graduates).
- Grab the confetti wand, Alumni tumbler and printed program from your keepsake box.
- Follow along with the Order of Exercises and share with family and friends.
- When your name is called, shake the confetti wand over your head - or have a family member or friend do it for you and capture the moment with a photo or video!
- Download your StageClip.
- Upload photos and videos to EVMS' social medial sites (@EVMSedu) and use #EVMSGrad2021.
Following Virtual Commencement Day
- GET YOUR PHOTO. All graduates who participated in the Commencement photo op are eligible for a complimentary 4”x 6” photo with their program director and diploma cover. The photo will be sent from GradImages within 2-4 weeks after your photo was taken, using the address provided during registration. An engraved photo frame included in your keepsake box was intended for this purpose. Additional photos are available for purchase from GradImages. Find your photo. Graduates who could not attend in person will receive an email from GradImages with instructions for uploading your photo on the digital Commencement stage.
- SHOW YOUR EVMS PRIDE. Wear your alumni pin as a proud new member of the EVMS Alumni community.
- STAY CONNECTED. Your EVMS email will be discontinued soon. Visit the alumni website to provide your non-EVMS info by creating your alumni profile.
- COME BACK. We’re looking forward to creating fun opportunities to celebrate your achievements together once the campus reopens.
- WALK WITH US. Remember, you’re invited to cross the stage in person at any EVMS Commencement in the next five years. If we have enough participants in May 2022, we will create a separate Commencement ceremony for the Class of 2021!
- KEEP YOUR REGALIA. Be sure to keep your regalia so you can wear it at one of our upcoming in-person Commencement ceremonies in the next five years.