Resident Benefits & Stipend Rates
Annual Stipend Rates
Residents are paid monthly for a total of 12 stipend checks each academic year (direct deposit available/encouraged). Stipend rates are reviewed annually in March of each year; the current guaranteed rates are listed below:
2018-2019 Stipend Rates
- Post Graduate Year 1 - $54,417
- Post Graduate Year 2 - $55,917
- Post Graduate Year 3 - $57,415
Educational Stipend Rates
These funds may be used by residents for their choices of medical books, journals, software, and professional meetings/membership fees.
Pediatric Residency Benefits
Vacation: Residents receive three (3) weeks (15 scheduled workdays) of PAID vacation per academic year. We make every effort to increase vacation time to 3 FULL weeks. An additional 5-6 day PAID holiday break (during either Christmas or New Year's) is also given.
Paid Time-off: Sick leave may be taken with full pay and benefits for up to 4 weeks. Maternity and paternity/adoption leave provisions are also provided. Educational leave is available, subject to prior approval from the Program Director.
Health: Group health insurance is provided for residents. EVMS trainees are covered for the lowest premium at no cost. The cost of selecting a more expensive policy or adding a spouse/dependent children is the responsibility of the trainee.
Dental: Dental coverage through Anthem is offered to our residents at cost.
Life: No cost Group Term life insurance is given in the amount of 1x a resident's base stipend. Voluntary Supplemental Life insurance is available at full cost to the resident.
Disability Insurances: Group Short Term and Long Term disability insurance is provided by EVMS at no cost to residents. Upon carrier approval:
- Short-term provides 100% of monthly base stipend after a 14-day elimination period and all paid leave has been exhausted.
- Long-term benefit is 60% of monthly base stipend after a 6-mo waiting period. Residents can purchase Supplemental Long Term Disability at full cost.
Professional Liability Insurance: Professional liability coverage is provided by EVMS at NO COST to our residents. This encompasses medical activities clearly defined within the scope of the residency program. Activities outside of the program are not covered.
Vision: Voluntary coverage is available at full cost responsibility to residents.
Please visit the EVMS GME Benefits Page for more insurance information.
Meals: FREE catered meals are served at every noon conference and most morning conferences. Electronic meal cards for the CHKD and Sentara cafeterias are also provided at no-cost to Residents. Tasty treats, sweets, coffee and teas are also provided in the residency office suite (CHKD 2nd floor).
Uniforms: Each academic year, residents can order 2 pieces of custom embroidered work attire FREE of charge. This includes lab coats, shirts, and/or scrubs.
Technology: Issued for use during residency, FREE of charge:
- Wi-Fi Apple iPad (currently - 32GB space gray 9.7" iPad Pro)
Books and software: Also provided at NO CHARGE:
- PALS and NRP textbooks
- Harriet Lane
- Textbooks/e-books (when available) for all required rotations and many electives
- PREP Curriculum - Pediatric Board study material
- MedStudy provided for PL2 Residents
- Custom Residency Curriculum iOS app
Annual Resident Events & Socials
- Program affiliated Educational Conferences: Autism, Sports Med, Emergency Med, Chronic Illness, etc.
- American Rover cruise (photos)
- Intern graduation (photos)
- DWL charity golf tournament (photos)
- Fall resident retreat (photos)
- Match day celebration and happy-hour
- Pediatrics day at the zoo (photos)
- Senior resident graduation event (photos)
- Other social group wellness outings: Movie nights; Top Golf outings; Norfolk Tides baseball game
Other Resident Benefits
- PAID orientation
- PAID conference travel for Resident presenters
- FREE National and Virginia Chapter AAP membership
- FREE parking in covered garage connected to the hospital
- FREE taxi cab drop-off/return service for long call nights
- DISCOUNTS on ATT & Verizon Wireless phone service
- DISCOUNTS on Ocean Breeze and Busch Gardens theme park tickets
- Large, centrally located resident lounge
- Opportunity to obtain a Certificate in Pediatric Global Health
- Opportunity to obtain a Certificate in Pediatric Public Health
- Opportunity for extra PAID shifts (in compliance with duty-hours)