The Faculty of the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology at Eastern Virginia Medical School strives to achieve excellence in the following ways:
- To provide a safe and healthy working environment for physicians engaged in graduate medical education in the discipline of obstetrics and gynecology.
- To teach the breadth and depth of obstetrics and gynecology through lectures, readings, case-based discussions, review of journal articles, and formal presentations by local and visiting faculty.
- To encourage the maturation of medical school graduates into consultants in obstetrics and gynecology, with adequate medical knowledge, interpersonal and communication skills, professionalism, knowledge of systems-based practice, and dedication to practice-based learning and improvement, who will provide patient care that is compassionate, appropriate, and effective for the treatment of health problems and the promotion of health.
- A resident training program that gives trainees choice, upon the completion of the program, to enter subspecialty training programs in maternal-fetal medicine, reproductive endocrinology and infertility, or gynecologic oncology, or to enter confidently into the practice of obstetrics and gynecology in the setting of their choice.
- Residents committed to lifelong, self-directed learning