A staggering 36,000 babies are born with a heart defect each year in the United States, according to the American Heart Association. Given its extensive expertise and international recognition in the prenatal diagnosis of fetal congenital heart disease, EVMS Maternal Fetal Medicine (MFM) — a division of EVMS Obstetrics and Gynecology — has established the EVMS Fetal Cardiovascular Center to help address the issue.
The center brings together specialists from MFM who will provide advanced prenatal clinical care through collaboration with the neonatology, pediatric cardiology and pediatric cardiovascular surgery specialists at Children’s Hospital of The King’s Daughters (CHKD). Research support staff assist with the expansion of clinical discovery in this very important field
Specialists at EVMS are renowned for their use of ultrasound technology to diagnose fetal congenital heart disease.
- Dr. Alfred Abuhamad, Chair and Professor of Ob/Gyn, authored a leading textbook on fetal echocardiography.
- EVMS is one of a few nstitutions in the country to have integrated ultrasound technology into its student curriculum.
- EVMS serves as one of the premiere luminary sites for major ultrasound manufacturers.
- EVMS Maternal-Fetal Medicine has developed software for the advancement in ultrasound detection of congenital heart disease in partnership with industry.
- EVMS Maternal-Fetal Medicine serves as an international educational training site for prenatal ultrasound and fetal echocardiography.