March 2017 Recognition:
Congratulations to Dr. Sami Tahhan on being voted as ACP Outstanding Teacher for Eastern Virginia Medical School Internal Medicine!
Congratulation to the below Residents, and their Mentors, on being selected to present posters at the Virginia Chapter of the American College of Physicians meeting!
Dr. Ali Ahmed (PGY2) and Dr. B. Mitchell Goodman III (Internal Medicine Program Director) presenting: "The Frenchman Sepsis - A forgotten disease".
Dr. Gretchen Brayman (PGY3) and Dr. Sami Tahhan (Internal Medicine Associate Professor) presenting: "Underneath the ink: a unique case of sarcoidosis".
Dr. Tharini Gunapal (PGY3) and Dr. L. Beth Gadkowski (Internal Medicine Associate Professor) presenting: "The Golden Masquerader: A Case of Empyema Necessitans cause by Actinomyces".
Dr. Mit Patel (PGY3) attended the Regional conference as the State of Virginia Jeopardy Representative; the National ACP Conference will take place in San Diego, from March 30th through April 1st.
February 2017 Recognition:
January 2017 Recognition:
December 2016 Recognition:
November 2016 Recognition:
Congratulations to Dr. Sill, Dr. Tiffany Tsang (PGY 2) and Shane Gill for participating in the Virginia Academy of Sleep Medicine Conference, where Dr. Tsang took second place for her poster!
October 2016 Recognition:
September 2016 Recognition:
August 2016 Recognition:
Congratulations to the Diabetes & Endocrinology specialty, at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, for being nationally ranked as by the U.S. News & World Report! EVMS faculty help staff SNGH — the top-rated hospital in Virginia — and its diabetes & endocrinology program.
June 2016 Recognition:
Congratulations to Dr. David A. Johnson for your American Board of Internal Medicine re-appointment.
May 2016 Recognition:
Congratulations to Dr. David Johnson for receiving the AGA 2016 Distinguished Educator Award!
April 2016 Recognition:
Congratulations to Dr. Michael Hooper for being selected as an EVMS/Sentara Endowed Chair for Academic Leadership Advancement.
Congratulations to Christian Bergman (PGY 2), David Klimpl (PGY 3), Dr. Jody Boggs, Dr. John E. Brush, Jr., Dr. Michael Hooper, and Dr. Milly Kannarkat for their well-deserved election into the AΩAHonor Medical Society.
March 2016 Recognition:
Congratulations to the following residents on being accepted as ACP State Presenters:
- Christian Bergman (PGY 2)
- Shruti Deopujari (PGY 2)
- Libby Hossain (PGY 3)
- Shana Mirshahi (PGY 2)
- Mit Patel (PGY 2)
- Tanvi Sojitra (PGY 2)
- Jennifer Winslow (PGY 2)
From Left: Shana Mirshahi (PGY 2), Dr. Jody Boggs, Tanvi Sojitra (PGY 2), Jennifer Winslow (PGY 2), Shruti Deopujari (PGY 3), Dr. Jerry Nadler, Libby Hossain (PGY 3), Christian Bergman (PGY 2)
Many thanks to Danial Henry, the Hampton VA Medical Centers Public Affairs Officer/Congressional Liaison, and the staff of Hampton VA, for creating a video which illustrates the Secretary of Veterans Affairs 'MyVA' tenets and what they mean here, in real time, at Hampton. You can view the video by clicking HERE.
February 2016 Recognition:
Congratulations to Dr. Edward Oldfield, IV (PGY 1) for being selected by AGA Institute Council to present his abstract, "Effect of Sleep Fragmentation on Composition of Gut Microbiome and Mesenteric Lymph Node Signaling (2442994)" at the May 2016 Digestive Disease Week® (DDW).
Congratulations to Dr. Jody Boggs for being selected by the Internal Medicine residents at EVMS and the Governors Council to receive the ACP Academic Teaching Award for 2016.
January 2016 Recognition:
December 2015 Recognition:
Congratulations to Dr. Christian Bergman (PGY 2) for being selected by the American Geriatrics Society Selection Committee to present his poster, "Gaze Palsy in Dementia? Think Progressive Supranuclear Palsy (2441218)" at the May 2016 Annual Scientific Meeting of the American Geriatrics Society.
Congratulations to Drs. Marissa Galicia-Castillo, Robert Palmer, Thomas Manser, Scott Robertson, Mark Flemmer, Aaron Vinik, and David Lieb for being chosen to receive recognition within the 2015-2016 Best Doctors in America® database.
November 2015 Recognition:
Congratulations to Dr. Edward Oldfield for receiving the Mason Andrews Community Service Award, presented by the Sentara Hospitals Norfolk Medical Staff for Educational and Community Contributions.
Congratulations to Mrs. Nell Reece for receiving the November Chairman's Appreciation Award.
October 2015 Recognition:
Congratulations to Dr. Mily Kannarkat for receiving the EVMS "Rising Star" Faculty Award.
Congratulations to Dr. Donald Richardson for receiving the EVMS "Excellence" Faculty Award.
- Brush, J.E., (2015). The Science of the Art of Medicine (2nd ed.). Dementi Milestone Pub.
- Johnson, D.A. (2016, June 30). Proton pump responsive esophageal eosinophilia- GERD in EoE disguise?NEJM Journal Watch. David A. Johnson, MD reviewing Savarino EV et al. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2016 Jul 4. JG-DJ20160713-1846
- New Data Demonstrate That WATS3D Is 4X More Effective Than the Seattle Random Biopsy Protocol in the Detection of High-Grade Dysplasia and Esophageal Adenocarcinoma. Authors: Vennalaganti, Prashanth; Eisen, Glenn; Falk, Gary W.; Gerson, Lauren B.; Goldblum, John R.; Gross, Seth A.; Gupta, Neil; Haber, Gregory B.; Infantolino, Anthony; Iyer, Prasad;Johnson, David A.; Kaul, Vivek; Kothari, Shivangi; Lightdale, Charles J.; Schnoll-Sussman, Felice; Shaheen, Nicholas; Smith, Michael S.; Wang, Kenneth K.; Zhang, Yaxia; Sharma, Prateek
- Parth J. Parekh, Edward C. Oldfield, and David A. Johnson. Chapter 100 (2016). Practical Gastroenterology and Hepatology Book: Edition 2.
- The GUT Microbiome: New Understanding and Potential Translational Applications for Disease Management 978-1-63483-902-0
- EndoEconomics Spring 2016. (2016, March 1). Retrieved from https://issuu.com/physiciansendoscopy/docs/endoeconomics_spring_2016
- Nutritional consequences of long-term acid suppression; are they clinically important?Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2016 Mar;32(2): 136-40. doi: 10.1097/MOG.0000000000000250.
- 5 Diagnostic Errors to Avoid: The Patient With GI Symptoms- Medscape Multispecialty, February 2016.
- Navigating Tough Decisions in Gastric Polyp Management - Medscape Gastroenterology> GI Common Concerns -- Computer Consult, December 2015.
- Top 10 Practice Changers in Gastroenterology - Medscape Gastroenterology, December 2015
- EndoEconomics Winter 2016. (2015, December 1). Retrieved from https://issuu.com/physiciansendoscopy/docs/endoeconomics_winter_2016
- Parth J. Parekh, Edward C. Oldfield, and David A. Johnson. "Current Strategies to Reduce Gastrointestinal Bleeding Risk Associated with Antiplatelet Agents." Drugs 75.14 (2015): 1613-1625. Print.
- The Gut Microbiome's Role in NAFLD - Experts And Viewpoints, November 2015
- GI Wrap-up: Highlights From ACG 2015 - Medscape Gastroenterology, November 2015
- PPIs and Cardiac Risk: Unveiling the Mask of Truth - Medscape Gastroenterology, September 2015
- The Wide-Ranging Role of the Microbiome - Slide/Lecture Presentation, September 2015
- GI Practice Updates for Primary Care Providers - Experts And Viewpoints, July 2015
- Could It Be... E? - Slide/Lecture Presentation, June 2015
- Landmark Developments in Gastroenterology: A 20-Year Review - Experts And Viewpoints, June 2015
- PPIs and Cardiac Risk: Does It Pass the Sniff Test? - Medscape Gastroenterology, June 2015
- Keeping 'Tract': GI Updates From DDW 2015 - Medscape Gastroenterology, June 2015
- Rifaximin for IBS: Where Do We Stand? - Medscape Gastroenterology, May 2015
- New Guidelines for Managing Hepatitis B Reactivation - Experts And Viewpoints, April 2015
- When Chronic Hoarseness Isn't Reflux Disease - Slide/Lecture Presentation, April 2015
- Acute Pancreatitis: Feed Now or Wait? - Slide/Lecture Presentation, March 2015
- Gauging Quality in Colonoscopy - Medscape Gastroenterology, February 2015
- Constipation: What Works, What Doesn't - Slide/Lecture Presentation, January 2015
- Johnson on Gastroenterology - Helicobacter pylori Treatment: The 'Rules' Have Changed - http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/867932
- Johnson on Gastroenterology; collection page URL: http://www.medscape.com/index/list_3336_0
- Johnson on Gastroenterology Proton Pump Inhibitors and Dementis: Cause For Concern? - http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/859438
- Johnson on Gastroenterology - GI Common Concerns – Computer Consult - http://www.medscape.com/index/section_10065_0
- Johnson on Gastroenterology - Gastroenterology Viewpoints - http://www.medscape.com/index/section_2911_0
- Johnson on Gastroenterology - Common Concerns - Abdominal Pains: A Simple Exam Can Save Unnecessary Costs to Patients and Payers Alike
- Johnson on Gastroenterology - Common Concerns - It's a Wrap: A Look Back at the Highlights of Digestive Disease Week 2016
- Johnson on Gastroenterology - Common Concerns - Continue Aspirin in Endoscopy Patients? A Resounding 'Yes': http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/862443
Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine-
- Marik, P.E. and Chen, C. (2016). Obesity hypoventilation syndrome often misdiagnosed, affecting mortality. Obes Sci Pract. 2016;doi:10.1002/osp4.27.