Emergency Medical Services Fellowship
The EVMS Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Fellowship is a one year postgraduate medical education program. It is an ACGME-accredited EMS Fellowship led by national renowned EMS faculty. Our aim allows for fellows to develop the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform all aspects of emergency care for critically ill and injured patients in varied austere field environments. We follow the ABEM core content of EMS in conjunction with the EMS fellowship model curriculum published by the NAEMSP. The EMS fellow works at a variety of Emergency Departments ranging from Level 1 & 2 Trauma Centers to free standings Emergency Departments.
EMS Fellow Expectations:
EMS fellows will be allowed to cultivate their own scientific interests and give back to the medical community by effective teaching of emergency care to all interested learners. While there will be sufficient facilitated learning by the faculty, the EMS fellow is expected to maintain a strong sense of self-directed, autonomous learning, along with the following.
- All EMS Fellows will be trained to successfully complete the ABEM EMS subspecialty board certification exam.
- The EMS fellow will work an average of 20 hours per week in the Emergency Department to continue to hone their core clinical skills. They will be provided two weeks of paid vacation annually.
- EVMS has a 25,000 square foot Center for Simulation and Immersive Learning with state of the art facilities.
- The experiential portion of the curriculum is a mix of traditional ground based EMS care with equal parts special operations, including Air Medical, Tactical Medical and Search & Rescue.
- The academic Department of Emergency Medicine will pay for their ACEP membership, NAEMSP membership, the cost of one CME conference per year, and the costs associated with presenting their research at national meetings.
- We will only take a single fellow per year to maximize the clinical experience.
- The EMS fellow will be provided with a full range of benefits including medical malpractice, health, dental and disability insurance.