About the GHHS Chapter at EVMS
In 2011 Eastern Virginia Medical School established a Gold Humanism Honor Society Chapter. This initiative from the Arnold P. Gold Foundation honors senior medical students, residents, role-model physician teachers and other exemplars recognized for "demonstrated excellence in clinical care, leadership, compassion and dedication to service."
The Gold Humanism Honor Society recognizes those who:
- Model, encourage and sustain the values of humanism and professionalism
- Enjoy a shared vision of a balance between science and humanism
- Lead, mentor, and inspire colleagues to promote humanism at all levels of healthcare
- Advocate for humanism in medicine - on campus, in practice, personally, locally, nationally
- Nurture fellowship in membership
- With humility, reach out to and support those bowed down by barriers to humanism in medicine
- Are a force for better healthcare for all
What is Humanism in Medicine?
"Humanism in medicine describes relationships between physicians and their patients that are respectful and compassionate. It is reflected in attitudes and behaviors that are sensitive to the values, autonomy, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of others."
- Integrity: the congruence between expressed values and behavior.
- Excellence: clinical expertise.
- Compassion: the awareness and acknowledgement of the suffering of another and the desire to relieve it.
- Altruism: the capacity to put the needs and interests of another before your own.
- Respect: the regard for the autonomy and values of another person.
- Empathy: the ability to put oneself in another's situation, e.g., physician as patient.
- Service: the sharing of one's talent, time and resources with those in need; giving beyond what is required."
More about the Arnold P. Gold Foundation
The Arnold P. Gold Foundation 's mission is to perpetuate the tradition of the caring doctor by emphasizing the importance of the relationship between the practitioner and the patient. The objective is to help physicians-in-training become doctors who combine the skills of cutting edge medicine with the skills of effective communication, empathy and compassion. Members of the honors society make a life long commitment to advocating for patient-centered care.
The GHHS Founding Supporters include The Russell Berrie Foundation and The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation