In this Section
- Hampton Roads Pride- Promostes pride and knowledge of the diversity of the Hampton Roads community through the organization and promotion of annual regional pride events.
- LGBT Center of Hampton Roads- Our mission is to promote the dignity and wellness of adults, families, youth and children impacted by HIV/AIDS through quality support and prevention services, so they may live healthy lives.
- Hampton Roads Business Outreach- Is a broad based coalition of LGBT owned and LGBT supportive businesses and professionals dedicated to the development, growth and advocacy of Hampton Roads and its LGBT community.
- Equality Virginia- is the leading statewide, non-partisan advocacy, outreach and education organization seeking equality for LGBT Virginians.
Professional Resources and Associations for Students in Medicine and Health Professions Fields
- American Medical Association's (AMA) GLBT Advisory Committee- provides a forum within the AMA to address the needs of LGBT physicians, medical students, and patients. The Advisory Committee also provides advice and counsel to the Board of Trustees and to AMA staff when appropriate on policy matters that bear directly on LGBT physicians, students, and patients and on developing strategies, programs and policies to better serve these AMA members and potential members.
- American Medical Student Association's (AMSA) Gender & Sexuality Interest Group- Is dedicated to assuring equal access to medical care and equality within medical education.
- American Psychological Association's (APA) Society for the Psychological Study of LGBT Issues-Society for the Psychological Study of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Issues focuses on the diversity of human sexual orientations by supporting research, promoting relevant education, and affecting professional and public policy.
- Association for LGBT Issues in Counseling (ALGBTIC)- promotes greater awareness and understanding of gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) issues among members of the counseling profession and related helping occupations and improves standards and delivery of counseling services provided to LGBT clients and communities
- Association of Gay & Lesbian Psychiatrists (AGLP)- A community of psychiatrists that educates and advocates on Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender mental health issues.
- Consortium of Higher Education LGBT Resource Professionals-The combined vision and mission of the Consortium is to achieve higher education environments in which lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender students, faculty, staff, administrators, and alumni have equity in every respect.
- Health Professionals Advancing LGBT Equality (GLMA)- Our mission is to ensure equality in healthcare for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) individuals and healthcare providers.
- National Association of LGBT Addiction Professionals (NALGAP)- Dedicated to the prevention and treatment of alcoholism, substance abuse, and other addictions in lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer communities.
- National Organization of Gay & Lesbian Scientists and Technical Professionals (NOGLSTP)-A professional society that educates and advocates for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer students and professionals in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics
- Women in Medicine- WIM provides cutting-edge continuing medical education for lesbian and other sexual minority female physicians
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH)-brings together diverse professionals dedicated to developing best practices and supportive policies worldwide that promote health, research, education, respect, dignity, and equality for transgender, transsexual, and gender-variant people in all cultural settings.
Clinical Resources for Medical Professionals Working with LGBT Patients
- Center of Excellence for Transgender Health (San Francisco)- increases access to comprehensive, effective, and affirming health care services for trans communities
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's (CDC) LGBT Health Resources- provides information and resources on some of the health issues and inequities affecting LGBT communities.
- Fenway (Boston)- Launched The Fenway Institute, an interdisciplinary center for research, training, education and policy development focusing on national and international health issues, especially related to LGBT communities.
- Human Rights Campaign's (HRC) Healthcare Equality Index- Is the national LGBT benchmarking tool that evaluates healthcare facilities’ policies and practices related to the equity and inclusion of their LGBT patients, visitors and employees.
- Institute of Medicine's (IOM) 2011 Report: The Health of LGBT People: Building a Foundation for a Better Understanding- Evaluates current knowledge of the health status of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender populations; to identify research gaps and opportunities; and to outline a research agenda to help NIH focus its research in this area
- Mazzoni Center (Philadelphia)-Is the only health care provider in the Philadelphia region specifically targeting the unique health care needs of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities
- National Coalition for LGBT Health- A national non-profit working with organizations, communities, and health care providers to advance effective prevention, care, and support for people living with, or at risk for, HIV and HCV through education and training, technical assistance and capacity building, advocacy, and health services research and evaluation.
- Out2Enroll: LGBT options under the Affordable Care Act-a national initiative to connect our community—LGBT people and their families, friends, and allies—with new health insurance options under the Affordable Care Act.
- We Belong Project: Health Care Resources for Sexual Minority Women- is a resource for sexual minority women and for health care providers.
Educational Resources for Campus Allies Looking to Gain More Information about the LGBT Community
- The Asexual Visibility & Education Network-AVEN hosts the world's largest online asexual community as well as a large archive of resources on asexuality. AVEN strives to create open, honest discussion about asexuality among sexual and asexual people alike.
- Campus Pride- serves LGBTQ and ally student leaders and campus organizations in the areas of leadership development, support programs and services to create safer, more inclusive LGBTQ-friendly colleges and universities.
- Center for LGBT Health & Equity (UCSF)-The LGBT Resource Center at UCSF, a division of Office of Diversity & Outreach provides education, information, support, and advocacy services to our campus community.
- Genderbread Person- helps show that gender is not binary
- Gender Identity Research & Education Society-is a volunteer operated membership charity that, in collaboration with the other groups in its field, hears, helps, empowers and gives a voice to trans and gender non-conforming individuals, including those who are non-binary and non-gender, as well as their families.
- The International Foundation for Gender Education-promotes acceptance for transgender people. We advocate for freedom of gender expression and promote the understanding and acceptance of All People
- Intersex Society of North America (ISNA)- devoted to systemic change to end shame, secrecy, and unwanted genital surgeries for people born with an anatomy that someone decided is not standard for male or female.
- LGBT Data-serves as a no-cost, open-access clearinghouse for the collection of sexual orientation & gender identity data and measures.
- National LGBT Cancer Network-Miission is to improve the lives of LGBT people with cancer and those at risk. We educate the LGBT community, train healthcare providers and advocate for LGBT inclusion in national cancer organizations, research and the media.
- National LGBT Health Education Center- provides educational programs, resources, and consultation to health care organizations with the goal of optimizing quality, cost-effective health care for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) people.
- Taking the Cake: An Illustrated Primer on Asexuality- An illustrated primer on asexuality
- The Network la Red-Is a survivor-led, social justice organization that works to end partner abuse in lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, BDSM, polyamorous, and queer communities.
- Trans Bodies, Trans Selves-Aesource guide for transgender populations, covering health, legal issues, cultural and social questions, history, theory, and more.
- Trans* Awareness Project- Aposter and digital media campaign that attempts to challenge stereotypes and cultivate an environment which celebrates and respects people of all genders.