There have been important changes in CDC guidance requiring us to make updates to the EVMS COVID-19 exposure and testing protocol. Among the updates are the requirement for COVID testing on the weekends. Please note that not following proper testing procedures will delay your ability to return to work following a COVID exposure.
- An employee is considered to be "up-to-date" on COVID vaccinations immediately after getting all age-appropriate boosters.
- A second booster of either Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine is recommended for adults ages 50 years and older at least four months after the first booster.
- Following exposure to a COVID-positive person, all asymptomatic employees who are NOT up-to-date on COVID vaccine will require testing on days 1,2,3 and once on days 5-7. The day of an exposure is Day 0.
- When some of the post-exposure days for testing are required on a weekend (for example, Days 1 and 2 or Days 2 and 3), at least one negative home test result will be required before an employee can return to work on Monday. Employees will resume testing upon return per protocol.
- Employees can choose to undergo testing at any testing site of their choice in lieu of the home test. Testing locations can be found here.
- Eight free home tests can be ordered from www.covid.gov/tests.
- All “positive” home tests for asymptomatic employees will require a “positive” confirmation test at an official testing sites.
- Home tests will not be accepted for symptomatic employees.
- There are no changes to the protocol for symptomatic employees.
For additional guidance, visit the EVMS COVID-19 page.
We remain grateful to EVMS faculty and staff for your patience and adaptability as our protocol evolves based on current COVID conditions and the guidance of the CDC. As always, should viral conditions or CDC recommendations change substantially, we will update you regarding changes to our approach to safeguard the health and safety of the EVMS community.