CIHE is guided by its mission statement and Guiding Principles:
- Trust – Acting in a way that promotes trust and builds relationships.
- Respect – Recognizing that community wisdom complements and strengthens scientific knowledge.
- Advocacy – Promoting equity in all we do.
- Transparency – Being completely open about the intent, decisions, and outcomes related to our work.
- Inclusiveness – Creating and sustaining a welcoming and supportive environment for all communities.
- Humility – Embracing the need to assess our biases to ensure that community beliefs, values, and experiences are honored.
- Strengths-based – Affirming community strengths.
- Relationship-oriented – Building bi-directional and sustainable relationships prioritizing community-identified needs and interests.