Tips for Living with High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)
- Lose weight by eating smaller portions and more vegetables.
- Try quitting smoking; call 1-800-QUIT-NOW for help.
- Exercise at least three times a week.
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables and the other half whole grains and lean meats.
- Take some time to relax.
- Eat less sodium by rinsing canned goods and eating less processed foods.
- Drink alcohol in moderation – no more than one drink per day.
- Cut back on caffeine.
- Watch your blood pressure and monitor it at home.
- Stay encouraged to live healthier!
Adapted from Mayo Clinic’s “10 Ways to Control High Blood Pressure without Medication