About the Brock Institute
The M. Foscue Brock Institute for Community and Global Health is envisioned as an interdisciplinary institute that will allow EVMS to focus on educational, clinical, public health and research enterprises, to coordinate existing and proposed community outreach programs, and to improve the health of the communities in which we serve.
The goals of the Institute are:
- To train the next generation of community-minded physicians and health-care professionals;
- To build a robust training program that will offer students meaningful service learning, research and scholarship experiences; and
- To become a model for other medical schools throughout the country.
In achieving these goals, the Institute will be led by the following values:
- Excellence, integrity and collegiality: the core values of EVMS;
- Respect to autonomy, justice, beneficence and non-maleficence, the four widely accepted principles of bioethics;
- An optimal state of health as a fundamental right of every human being;
- Respect for the highest principles of scientific and academic conduct, fostering open inquiry and honoring individual rights;
- Demonstrating and teaching respect, humility, compassion, ethics, scholarship and sensitivity; and
- Understanding and embracing diversity.
To learn more, see our Founding Principles and Charter.