Thriving in Our Missions: Our Roadmap for the Future
In November 2017, EVMS began a dynamic strategic-planning process to update our institutional priorities and establish our next set of strategic goals for the future.
Collectively and methodically, we identified our strengths, considered our weaknesses from an internal and external perspective and determined where change was necessary and possible. With an eye toward the horizontal integration of each strategy and tactic, our planning principles included:
- Improve quality across mission areas
- Consider and integrate community partnerships as well as diversity and inclusion in goals when appropriate
- Identify and define deliverables
- Provide a return on investment
- Project and advance the national reputation of EVMS
- Require accountability
- Align with EVMS' mission, vision and diversity statements
- Consider priorities that demonstrate synergistic value across multiple mission areas
With accreditation visits from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) and the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) expected in 2020, this strategic planning process focused on the educational enterprise, although all mission areas were included.
Collaboration from faculty members, residents, students, staff and institutional stakeholders helped us determine where change was necessary and possible. A Steering Committee vetted the proposals and guided the creation of a plan that addresses each objective.
In total, four core areas were addressed by subcommittees assigned to each:
Each subcommittee included representation from a broad range of campus departments to ensure institutional resources and needs were thoroughly considered as proposals were developed and submitted to the Strategic Plan Steering Committee.