Halloween Fire Safety Tips

                                                                       HALLOWEEN SAFETY TIPS

 

 

Halloween is a fun holiday but it is also an important time to practice fire safety. The occurrence of fire increases around Halloween due to arson and the use of candles as decorations. Follow these tips for a happy and fire-safe Halloween:

  • If you buy a costume, make sure the label says “Flame Resistant.”  Flame Resistant means the costume will be hard to catch on fire and if it does, the fire will go out fast.
  • If you make a costume, try not to make one that is big and baggy so that the material doesn’t touch candles or other flames.  Use flame-resistant fabrics, such as polyester and nylon.  These materials will resist burning if exposed to a flame.
  • Tell kids to stay away from candles and jack-o'-lanterns that may be on steps and porches.  Their costumes could catch fire if they get too close.
  • Kids should never carry candles when they are trick-or-treating.  Always use a flashlight, flameless candle, or light stick.
  • Tell kids to let you know right away if they see other kids playing with matches or lighters.
  • Don’t use candles for decorations.  They’re dangerous, especially when left unattended.
  • Use only decorative lights tested for safety by a recognized testing laboratory.  Check lights for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections.  Throw away damaged sets.  Don't overload extension cords.
  • Check the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s website for the latest on Halloween-related consumer product recalls.
  • If you have a Halloween party, check for cigarettes under furniture cushions and in areas where people were smoking before you go to bed.
  • Remove any materials around your home or property, such as garbage or excess vegetation, which an arsonist could use to start a fire.