Gayle Gliva-McConvey is the former Director of Professional Skills Teaching and Assessment at EVMS. She has since retired, but for more than 42 years, she developed and integrated the Standardized Patient (SP) methodology in clinical skills assessment and training. She directed the first SP program at McMaster University Faculty of Health Sciences in Ontario, Canada from 1973 to 1984. She has served as a consultant for medical schools and corporations interested in augmenting traditional training and assessment techniques with the use of experiential learning. She has over 20 publications on SP and has presented at over 150 conferences, lectures or workshops in North America, Finland, Ireland, Spain, the Netherlands, Singapore, Poland, Italy, France and the West Indies.
Standardized Patients - Entrustable professional activities
A Standardized Patient is someone trained to model a patient in a medical encounter. It is a consistent and standardized approach to teaching healthcare professionals. Students are educated and assessed using the SP in domains such as history, physical and clinical assessment and clinical interviewing skills, etc. Entrustable Professional Activities (EPAs) are clinical activities that trainee healthcare professionals can be trusted to perform with minimal or no supervision.
At the end of the professional development byte, you will be able to:
- Integrate SP-based activities into the curriculum to teach and assess EPAs
- Identify components of the EPAs that can be measured through SP-based activities
- Determine which year of medical school SPs can be used effectively
Watch this professional development byte:
- Association of American Medical Colleges, Core Entrustable Professional Activities for Entering Residency: Curriculum Developers Guide
- SP Case #1: Cannot Catch Breath (Second-Year Student)
- SP Case #2: Depression (Family Medicine Clerkship)
- SP Case #3: IBS (Resident or CME)
Release date: June 1, 2016
Review date: May 30, 2019
Expiration date: May 31, 2022
Gayle Gliva-McConvey has disclosed she has no relevant financial relationships.