Thank you for providing a letter of recommendation for our EVMS students. Your letter is a very important component of their residency applications. In fact, results of the 2014 National Resident Matching Program (NRMP) Program Director survey identified letters of recommendation as the second most important factor in selecting applicants for interview. We appreciate your time and effort in constructing a meaningful letter.
Please keep in mind that ERAS opens to all Program Directors on September 15. The absence of a letter may jeopardize a student’s success in getting the interviews of their choice.
Tips for writing the letter of recommendation
Have the student’s curriculum vitae and letter request form (cover sheet) available. The request form contains the student’s AAMC ID number needed in writing your letter.
- Heading: Please include a professional letterhead at the top. If for some reason this is not available, at least include your complete return address, centered on the top.
- Inside address of Program Director
- Salutation: Use "Dear Program Director" (a specific name is not required)
- Subject line: Typed as "Subject:" or "Re:" and state the student’s AAMC ID number found on the request form
- Body paragraphs
- Paragraph 1: State your relationship to the student, how long you have known him or her and the fact that they have waived their right to view this letter
- Paragraph 2: Provide specific examples of the student’s achievements and contributions
- Paragraph 3: Summarize your overall assessment and level of enthusiasm
- Examples may include "enthusiastically endorse," "strongly recommend," or "recommend" for the top, middle and lower student, respectively
- Check for errors in spelling, grammar, student’s name and gender pronouns
- Closure: end with "Sincerely," "Sincerely yours," "Yours truly" or the like, followed by your signature
- Save your letter as a PDF with the following requirements:
- File cannot exceed 500 KB
- File cannot be password protected
- Page cannot exceed 8.5 by 11 inches
- File name cannot contain spaces or special characters
Tips for uploading your letter of recommendation
A new mandate by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) requires that all letter-of-recommendation authors upload their letters directly onto the online Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) letter of recommendation portal. You no longer have the option of sending the letters to our dean’s office ERAS administrator for upload. To upload the letter of recommendation:
- Access the AAMC Letter of Recommendation Portal (LoRP).
- Register and create a username and password. Detailed, illustrated instructions are provided in the Getting Started tab on the portal website or the user guide.
- Note: Only Firefox and Internet Explorer browsers are supported for the LoRP.
- Follow the prompt to upload your letter.
PDFs with encryption, password protection, or digital signatures cannot be processed.
If you need to amend a letter you already uploaded, you must submit a new letter. Program Directors can only view the most recent letter.