Luanne Thorndyke, MD, FACP
Luanne Thorndyke, MD, is Vice Provost for Faculty Affairs at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. She leads an office responsible for all matters related to faculty, including sponsoring faculty/leadership development; administering academic affairs;leading efforts to promote recognition and satisfaction; supporting faculty diversity and inclusion; and spearheading efforts to advance women and promote gender equity. Prior to joining UMMS, she was Associate Dean for Professional Development at Pennsylvania State College of Medicine and Assistant Dean of Continuing Medical Education. A graduate of Duke University and University of Nebraska College of Medicine, Thorndyke is a board-certified internist, and clinical interests include women’s health and geriatrics. Thorndyke was elected Chair of the AAMC Group on Faculty Affairs in 2013, and is also a member of the Group on Diversity and Inclusion and the Group on Women in Science and Medicine.
Graceful self-promotion is a way of speaking diplomatically and strategically about yourself and your accomplishments. It is a communication skill which, like any skill, can be learned and improved. However, the ability to effectively speak about one’s work, contributions, and impact is difficult for many and potentially damaging if poorly executed.
At the end of the professional development byte you will utilize strategies to be used to self-promote and relate these strategies to your academic role.
Click link to view
Graceful self-promotion (CME link) COMING SOON
- Six Ways to Promote Yourself—Elegantly. Kay, Katty. Harvard Business Review. 08/20/2014.
- How to Promote Yourself Without Looking Like a Jerk. Clark, Dorie. Harvard Business Review. 12/22/2014.
- Your body language shapes who you are. Cuddy, Amy. TEDGlobal 2012.21:02. Filmed Jun 2012. http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are?language=en
- Graceful Self-Promotion—It’s Essential. Morahan, Page. Academic Physician & Scientist. February 2004. https://www.aamc.org/download/266306/data/aps2004-02morahanself-promotion.pdf
- Quintessential Careers: Introduce Yourself Like You Mean It. Lichtenberg, Ronna. Excerpt from Pitch Like a Girl: How a Woman Can Be Herself, by Ronna Lichtenberg, 2005. http://www.quintcareers.com/printable/introducing_yourself.html
Dr. Thorndyke has disclosed she has no relevant financial relationships