Peggy A. Weissinger, Ed.D, MBA
Peggy Weissinger, Ed.D is the Associate Director of the Center for Innovation and Leadership Education at Georgetown University Medical Center (GUMC), the inaugural director of the GUMC Teaching Academy for the Health Sciences and the Associate Dean for Educational Scholarship. She additionally serves as the Co-Director for the Medical Education Research Scholar Track, and is an Associate Professor in the Department of Family Medicine. She has been a Medical Education Research (MERC) Facilitator for the American Association of Medical Colleges (AAMC) since 2011 and is the north east regional director of the AAMC Leadership (LEAD) program.
As medical education calls for the incorporation of more alternative assessment strategies, fair and objective grading can be challenging. A rubric is an assessment that defines specific criteria to assess performance and includes specific descriptions of observed performance categorized by level. A rubric can be used for grading a large variety of assignments and tasks and a typical layout is a grid format. This "bite" will focus on creating grading for 'messy' assignments.
At the end of the professional development byte you will be able to:
- Define what a rubric is
- Describe the specific ways faculty members can utilize rubrics
- Explain how a rubric can help students
Clink link to view:
Creating Rubrics (CME Credit)
Creating Rubrics (Non CME Credit)
- Allen D, Tanner K, Rubrics: Tools for Making Learning Goals and Evaluation Criteria Explicit for Both Teachers and Learners. CBE LifeSciEduc, 2006, 5(3):197-203
- Advanced Learning Technologies, University of Kansas. Rubistar, 2006
- Boateng BA, Bass LD, Blaszak RT, Farrar HC. The Development of a Competency-Based Rubric to Measure Resident Milestones. JGME, 2009, 1(1):45-48
- Moskal BM. Scoring Rubrics Part I What and When.
- Moskal BM. Developing Classroom Performance Assessments and Scoring Rubrics - Part II
- Stevens DD, Levi AJ. Introduction to Rubrics. Sterling, VA Stylus Publishing, 2005
Release date: June 01, 2016
Expiration date: May 31, 2019
Dr. Weissinger has disclosed she has no relevant financial relationships