Research Associate, Clinical Research Coordinator
Carolina M. Casellini, MD
Dr. Carolina Casellini brings a diverse perspective to the Strelitz Diabetes Center and the Neuroendocine Unit, with her expertise in rheumatology and Internal Medicine. She currently serves as an integral scientific member of the Unit as a research associate and a clinical study coordinator. She initially started at the Strelitz Diabetes Center in a similar capacity from 2005 to 2007. She received her medical degree from the University of El Salvador, School of Medicine, graduating with honors. Her medical training spans not only in Argentina but also the United States, as she completed part of her residency training at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, TX. After completing her residency in Internal Medicine, she further trained in rheumatology at the University of Buenos Aires School of Medicine. Shortly afterwards she worked as an attending physician in the Rheumatology Section of the Center of Medical Education and Clinical Investigations in Buenos Aires. In 2012 she returned to the Strelitz Diabetes Center, where she continues to lend her rheumatologic expertise to the field of diabetology. She actively participates in the development of research studies to further understand the pathophysiology of neuropathy, autonomic dysfunction and neurovascular dysfunction in people with diabetes. In conjunction with the rest of the team, Dr. Casellini aids in the development of advanced, non-invasive, innovative devices for detecting diabetic neuropathy. Her areas of interest include pathophysiology, diagnosis and treatment of diabetic neuropathies and neuroendocrine tumors.
She has published several peer-reviewed scientific articles in various journals including: Journal of Clinical Rheumatology, Nature Clinical Practice Endocrinology and Metabolism, Diabetes Care, Medicine (Buenos Aires), Endocrine Practice, Journal Diabetes Investigation and Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics. Dr. Casellini has also presented at several national and international conferences including the American College of Rheumatology Annual Scientific Meeting, American Diabetes Association Annual Scientific Sessions, Argentine College of Rheumatology and the Annual Diabetes Technology Meeting.
- Casellini C, Citera G, Rosemfet M, Maldonado Cocco JA. Audiovestibular disorders in patients with ankylosing spondylitis. J Clin Rheumatol. 2005 Apr;11(2):81-5.
- Vinik A, Ullal J, Parson HK, Casellini CM. Diabetic neuropathies: clinical manifestations and current treatment options. Nat Clin Pract Endocrinol Metab. 2006 May;2(5):269-81
- Vinik A, Casellini CM. Recent advances in the treatment of diabetic neuropathy. Current Opinion in Endocrinology and Diabetes 2006; 13: 147-153.
- Vinik A, Ullal J, Parson HK, Barlow P, Casellini CM. Pioglitazone treatment improves nitrosative stress in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2006 Apr;29(4):869-76.
- Casellini CM, Barlow PM, Rice AL, Casey M, Simmons K, Pittenger G, Bastyr EJ 3rd, Wolka AM, Vinik AI. A 6-month, randomized, double-masked, placebo-controlled study evaluating the effects of the protein kinase C-beta inhibitor ruboxistaurin on skin microvascular blood flow and other measures of diabetic peripheral neuropathy. Diabetes Care. 2007 Apr;30(4):896-902.
- Casellini CM, Vinik AI. Clinical manifestations and current treatment options for diabetic neuropathies. Endocr Pract. 2007 Sep-Oct;13(5):550-66.
- Fernández Landó L, Casellini CM. Exenatide trials for the treatment of type 2 diabetes. Medicine (Buenos Aires). 2009; 69(4):447-57
- Boyd A, Casselini C, Vinik E, Vinik A. Quality of life and objective measures of diabetic neuropathy in a prospective placebo-controlled trial of ruboxistaurin and topiramate. J Diabetes Sci Technol. 2011 May 1;5(3):714-22
- Perez Alamino R, Casellini C, Baňos A, Schneeberger E, Gagliardi SA, Maldonado Cocco JA, Citera G. Prevalence of periprosthetic osteolysis after total hip replacement in patients with rheumatic diseases. Open Access Rheumatology: Research and Reviews 2012:4 57–62
- Vinik AI, Erbas T, Casellini CM. Diabetic Cardiac Autonomic Neuropathy, Inflammation and Cardiovascular Disease. J Diab Investigation 2013: 4(1):4-18
- Vinik AI, Erbas T, Casellini CM. Diabetic Cardiac Autonomic Neuropathy, Inflammation and Cardiovascular Disease. J Diab Investigation. 2013 Jan;4(1):4-18. [Epub 2013 Jan 29]
- Vinik AI, Casellini CM. Guidelines in the management of diabetic nerve pain: clinical utility of pregabalin. Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity: Targets and Therapy 2013:6 57–78
- Parson HK, Nguyen VT, Orciga MA, Boyd AL, Casellini CM, Vinik AI. Contact Heat-Evoked Potential Stimulation for the Evaluation of Small Nerve Fiber Function. Diabetes Technol Ther. 2013 Feb;15(2):150-7 [Epub 2013 Jan 8] (DOI:10.1089/dia. 2012.0202).
- Vinik AI, Nevoret ML, Casellini CM, Parson HK. Neurovascular Function and Sudorimetry in Health and Disease. Curr Diab Rep 2013, May 17 [Epub ahead of print] (DOI 10.1007/s11892-013-0392-x).