EVMS faculty, alumni and a loyal donor to the school were honored Feb. 23 at the annual Health Care Heroes awards ceremony sponsored by the Hampton Roads publication Inside Business.
In all, EVMS-affiliated individuals and organizations claimed 11 of the 20 awards presented at the breakfast ceremony. EVMS honorees were:
- Richard Bikowski, MD ('MD 79), Professor of Clinical Family and Community Medicine. He received the award for Family Physician.
- Michelle Brenner, MD (Pediatrics Residency '98), Associate Professor of Clinical Pediatrics. She received the award for Pediatrician.
- LD Britt, MD, MPH, the Edward J. Brickhouse Chair in Surgery, the Henry Ford Professor of Surgery and Professor and Chair of Surgery. He received the award for Leadership.
- Robert Kelly, MD, Professor of Clinical Surgery. Dr. Kelly received the award for Pediatric Surgeon.
- Charles Kessler, MD, Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine. He received the award for Internal Medicine.
- Douglas Mitchell, MD, Professor of Pediatrics. Dr. Mitchell received the award for Pediatrician.
- Stephanie Moody Antonio, MD, Associate Professor of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery. She received the award for Ear, Nose and Throat Specialist.
- Reuben Rohn, MD, Professor of Pediatrics. Dr. Rohn, who recently completed 40 years on the EVMS faculty, received the award for Endocrinology Specialist.
- Sharon Sheffield, MD (MD ‘92, Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency '97), Instructor of Obstetrics and Gynecology. She received the award for Obstetrics and Gynecology Physician.
- Cosmopolitan Club of Norfolk. The club received the award for Volunteer Group for its role as a founding donor and loyal supporter of the EVMS Strelitz Diabetes Center.
- EVMS Leroy T. Canoles Jr. Cancer Research Center. As part of this interdisciplinary center, the physicians and scientists affiliated received the award for Advancements in Research.