Seven chosen as Health Care Heroes
Story Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 14:00:00 EST
EVMS has several Health Care Heroes in its midst.
Seven of the 17 Health Care Heroes honored this year by the publication Inside Business are associated with EVMS. The awards were presented in a ceremony in Norfolk Feb. 25.
The 2013 EVMS heroes and their award category are:
- Joseph A. Aloi, MD (pictured) -- Advancement in Health Care. Dr. Aloi is Clinical Director of the EVMS Strelitz Diabetes Center. He was selected for his work to raise awareness of diabetes. He has conducted screenings throughout the region thanks to support from the Anthem Foundation and the Obici Healthcare Foundation.
- Alexander Berger, MD -- Primary Care Physician. Dr. Berger is a Professor Emeritus of Family and Community Medicine. He was selected based on a career-long commitment to patients in locations all over the world.
- Madeline L. Dunstan (pictured) -- Health Care Staff. Mrs. Dunstan is Associate Director of Education in the Glennan Center for Geriatrics and Gerontology. She was honored for her efforts to build awareness of the special needs of older adults.
- Willette L. LeHew, MD -- Health Care Leader. Dr. LeHew is a retired obstetrician and former Rector of the EVMS Board of Visitors. Dr. LeHew was celebrated for his community involvement, such as his volunteer work with the Chesapeake Free Clinic.
- Harry T. Lester (pictured) -- Health Care Visionary. Mr. Lester joined the EVMS Board of Visitors in 2000 and because President in 2005. He was singled out for his success in garnering support for the school and its community-oriented mission.
- Victoria S. Strasnick, MD -- Pediatrician. Dr. Strasnick is an Instructor of Clinical Pediatrics who works at Virginia Beach Pediatric Center. She was singled out for her compassion and dedication to her patients.
- Bruce D. Waldholtz, MD -- Physician Specialist. Dr. Waldholtz is an Assistant Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine employed at Gastroenterology Associates. He was praised for his support of research targeting cancer.