Information for Students
Ask a Librarian
Information about the reference and search services available to EVMS associates.
USMLE Step 1 and Shelf Exam review.
Exam Master Online
Exam Master Online is an USMLE and board preparation review tool that provides access to thousands of basic and clinical sciences questions. The interface allows for quick and easy navigation, and provides the ability to create customized practice exams and study blocks. The EXAM MASTER testing interface closely matches what is actually used on the USMLE exam. This new test mode interface includes other features found on the exam including the ability to attach notes to each question.
Student Resource Collection (SRC)
The SRC is located on the first floor of the library and contains textbooks, study guides, and handbooks donated by students. Materials can be checked out by students for six weeks.
- PubMed LinkOut FAQ PubMed is the free version of Medline. LinkOut provides links to EVMS full-text journals.
- MEDLINE (through EBSCOhost)
- PsycINFO (through OVID)
- ACP Medicine
- ACP Smart Medicine (formerly ACP PIER)
- Cochrane Library
- UpToDate (on campus only)
Find Full-text Electronic Resources
- PubMed LinkOut : Provides links to most EVMS full-text electronic journals. Look for the "EVMS Online" icon.
- Electronic Journals: Alphabetical and "By Discipline" lists of full-text electronic journals.
- Electronic Books: Alphabetical, searchable list of electronic books.
- Access Medicine: Full-text access to current medical textbooks, study aids, and clinical tools
- ClinicalKey : Full-text access to current medical reference texts, journals, patient handouts, and drug information.
- STAT!Ref (E-Books) : Full-text access to current medical reference texts and clinical tools.
Accessing databases and other resources from off-campus
EVMS network account holders can access licensed library databases and other resources from off-campus via the EVMS proxy server. When a restricted resource is selected — e.g., StatRef or MDConsult — you will be asked for a username and password. These are the same usernames and passwords that you use to login to the computers in the Library's computer lab or Blackboard. Once these are entered, you will have full access to the database.
Online Catalog (WebCat)
Search for books by author, title, subject, or keyword or, click on “Periodical Title” to search by journal title to find print periodicals.
Request an Article or Book
Use the Library's document delivery system, ILLiad, to request books or the full-text of journal articles not available electronically.
Hint: Before putting in an ILLiad request for a journal article, try cutting and pasting the title of the article into Google Scholar (http://scholar.google.com) to make sure there is not a free version available.