Library Resources for IRB Support
The Edward E. Brickell Medical Sciences Library is dedicated to supporting Eastern Virginia Medical School's mission of achieving excellence and fostering the highest ethical standards in medical and health professions education, research, and patient care. An important library resource at your disposal is the research librarians, who are available to conduct literature searches and provide training sessions in the use of information resources. Services are available to all EVMS faculty, staff, residents, and students.
Christine Russell, MACE, MSLS email@example.com 757 446-5852
Esther Sarino, MLIS firstname.lastname@example.org 757 446-5856
The Research Librarians are:
- The IRB's library liaison
- Trained information specialists who will provide literature searches for research protocols
- Well-informed about the library's collections, services, policies, and resources
- Knowledgeable of the subject matter and nature of research conducted by EVMS
Your Research Librarians will:
- Provide in-depth searches of literature
- Look for similar or duplicate research
- Select pertinent literature based on your Protocol Literature Request
- Search for updated literature since prior approval
- Provide training sessions in the use of research databases
Why the Research Librarians as a resource?
- EVMS librarians can “help provide protection of human subjects”1 by conducting thorough literature searches
- EVMS librarians will “help minimize risks to the institution” as a result of thorough literature searches
- EVMS librarians are “a vital partner in fulfilling the research imperative” because they are expert searchers
1 Robinson JG, Gehle JL. “Medical research and the Institutional Review Board.” Reference Services Review. 2005;33(1):20-24.
Request a Literature Search
Protocol Literature Request (pdf form)
Please email completed forms to email@example.com. Please supply as much information about your protocol as possible, and attach your protocol abstract if available.
It is our pleasure to serve as your research librarians and we encourage you to take advantage of this important service!