Download the CareForward Curriculum Brochure
Our Educational Mission
The mission of Eastern Virginia Medical School is deeply rooted in the education and training of truly caring and competent physicians, equipping them with the requisite scientific, academic, and humanistic skills most relevant to today's practice of medicine.
EVMS’ newly reformed CareForward Curriculum (CFC) is designed to enhance learning through integration and innovation. The purpose of the CFC is to educate caring, compassionate, skillful caregivers, with an emphasis on preparing students to easily transition into residency training with the knowledge and understanding to competently navigate the complexities of the health care system.
Recognizing the importance of effectively managing care for the aging American population and the predominant challenge of caring for patients with multiple chronic conditions, we empower our future health care providers with the skillsets necessary to address these issues.
What the CFC offers students:
- Learning opportunities are fully integrated with appropriate and contemporaneous foundational and clinical science principles delivered at an appropriate level
- Foundational science principles are augmented by early access to clinical practice
- Compassion and care not only for patients, but for fellow learners and educators are a significant focus of the curriculum
- Active learning is promoted in the curriculum to advance students’ ability to problem solve, communicate effectively, work independently as well as in a team environment
- Opportunities are made readily available to systematically and scientifically strengthen the knowledge, skills and paradigms that produce strong, community-oriented physicians
- The organ - and systems - based approach to medical education accurately reflects the real-life performance pattern of a practicing physician
Preparation For The Future
- The emphasis on foundational sciences, clinical sciences and clinical skills, combined with a robust program in Careers in Medicine, helps prepare students for residency selection and beyond
- By providing a true understanding of the nuances of health care, students are exposed to the importance of making cost-conscious decisions while providing the safest and highest-quality care
- Principles of evidence based medicine and best practices are taught to ensure students can develop comprehensive care plans for elderly and patients with multiple chronic conditions
- The curriculum, by design, cultivates a lifelong love of learning
Using cutting-edge concepts in technology and the science of learning, CFC will use longitudinal clinical cases drawn from virtual families to simulate real-life clinical scenarios and complexities. Students will work on various problems in a small-group setting with a faculty facilitator and present their views within their own small group and in a large group setting. These cases will be used as an important tool for integrating basic and clinical sciences and also contents across various organ systems modules.