About the Physician Assistant Program
The Master of Physician Assistant (MPA) Program utilizes innovative instructional methods in conjunction with the medical school's diverse resources to provide students with outstanding educational opportunities. The curriculum provides graduates with the knowledge and skills needed to deliver primary health care as physician assistants and leaders in a changing health-care industry.
Our program is accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA). Only graduates of an ARC-PA-accredited program are eligible to sit for the national certification examination (PANCE). Certified PAs practice medicine in every specialty and clinical setting.
The PA profession is a growing and dynamic medical career. Consider the following:
- The U.S. Department of Labor rates job growth for PAs as “much faster than average” expecting the job market to grow by over 30,000 jobs by 2022.
- On a list published by Forbes.com, the physician assistant profession was ranked as #1 among the 25 most promising jobs for millennials.
- For 2017, U.S. News & World Report ranked the PA profession as #3 in the 100 Best Jobs and #3 in the Best Health Care Jobs.
- Forbes.com annual "Best Master's Degrees for Jobs in 2016" ranked Physician Assistant studies among the top 10 degrees.
- The New York Times recently published a very positive article about the training and acceptability of PAs.
- A 2014 study conducted by the National Commission on Certification of PAs revealed that over 94% of respondents were willing to see a PA.
- U.S. News & World Report published the 10 Reasons to See a Physician Assistant highlighting the profession's ubiquitous presence in healthcare.
From another perspective, HEALTHeCAREERS, an online healthcare jobs site, recently published the 5 reasons PAs have the best job in healthcare. The reasons included:
- High return for master's education
- High overall salary
- More personal freedom (compared to an MD)
- Value added to the healthcare system
- High future employment outlook
You can read more on their website.
Important Phone Numbers
|School of Health Professions -
Office of Admissions & Enrollment
|Diversity in Educational Programs||757-446.5869|