Art Therapy & Counseling Program Mission and Vision Statements
The EVMS Graduate Art Therapy & Counseling Program is dedicated to achieving excellence in art therapy education, research, clinical, community service and fostering the highest ethical standards.
Our vision is to be recognized as a leader in providing graduate art therapy education, conducting innovative art therapy research, forging community-academic partnerships, and serving as effective advocates for the therapeutic use of art.
To realize our vision and to fulfill our mission we:
- Provide a rigorous didactic and experiential art therapy education
- Emphasize the understanding of various individual, group, and family theoretical approaches
- Prepare graduates to integrate theoretical approaches into the practice of art therapy with culturally diverse people of all ages in a variety of settings
- Encourage students to develop a personal and ethical approach to art therapy
- Ground students in a mental health perspective
- Promote clinical competence in assessment and treatment
- Challenge students to speak and write professionally about art therapy
- Develop competency in planning, conducting, and evaluating art therapy research
- Enhance student self-awareness and development of artist-therapist identity through personal art making and self-reflection
- Foster skills in the therapeutic use of a broad range of art processes and material
- Provide a dedicated and accessible art studio
- Promote community partnerships