American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin - Hampton Roads Scholarship Fund
This fund was established by the American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin – Hampton Roads (AAPI-HR) in 2011. One scholarship award shall be made each fiscal year in the amount of $5,000 for one (1) student. Applications for the American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin – Hampton Roadsscholarship awards shall be accepted and reviewed by EVMS in accordance with the EVMS Scholarship Committee guidelines in effect at the time the award is made.
Each year, the following tiered approach would be used to identify a candidate:
- Scholarship awardees shall be first-year medical students (M1) of Indian origin. Students with ties to Hampton Roads area will receive first consideration.
- In addition, scholarship awardees shall:
- Demonstrate merit as evidenced by documentation filed with the EVMS Office of Financial Aid and any other such documentation or information as the EVMS Scholarship Committee may require; and,
- Obtain endorsement from an American Association of Physicians of Indian Origin – Hampton Roads Executive Committee member.
- Write a 250 to 500 word essay and submit with their EVMS Financial Aid & Scholarship Application on the following topic:
AAPI-HR is an organization of Physicians of Indian origin committed to giving back to the community of Hampton Roads, Virginia. Our motto is service, charity and education. Please describe briefly how you would incorporate our organizational values as a student at EVMS and in future as a practicing/academic physician.