Eugene Smith Scholarship
As a founding partner of Valleywide Surgical Services located in Phoenix, AZ and the Past President of the National Surgical Assistant Association (NSAA), Eugene O. Smith advocated firmly for the advanced education of surgical assistants. Mr. Smith worked tirelessly to develop high educational standards for the NSAA and served for many years as its President. The Eugene Smith Scholarship was established in 2011 in his memory as the first scholarship fund at EVMS specifically designated for a surgical assistant. The Eugene O. Smith Scholarship recipient reflects the vision of Eugene Smith, by demonstrating the following qualities: a commitment to excellence in the classroom, promise as a leader among their peers, a spirit of professional stewardship, and a dedication to ever expanding their command of the science and art of surgical assisting.
The scholarship will be awarded annually based on the following:
- Second year surgical assistant student enrolled at EVMS
- a commitment to excellence in the classroom
- promise as a leader among their peers
- a spirit of professional stewardship
- dedication to ever expanding his or her command of the science and art of surgical assisting
Final selection made by the Office of Financial Aid in conjunction with the program.