Using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool
Using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool is the most accurate option for transferring data to your FAFSA.
According to the U. S. Department of Education:
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool allows students and parents to access the IRS tax return information needed to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students and parents may transfer the data directly into their FAFSA.
If you are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, we highly recommend using the tool for several reasons:
- It’s the easiest way to provide your tax data.
- It’s the best way of ensuring that your FAFSA has accurate tax information.
- You won’t need to provide a copy of your or your parents’ tax returns to your college.
If you do not use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool to provide tax information and your college requests a copy of your tax return or your parents’ tax return, you may be required to obtain an official tax transcript from the IRS.
In order to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool:
- Enter your PIN* and click Link To IRS
- *You will not be asked to enter your PIN if you entered a PIN to begin your FAFSA.
- Your FAFSA will be saved and you will be transferred to the IRS Web site.
- On the IRS Web site, enter the requested information.
- Once the IRS has validated your identification, your IRS tax information will display. You can either transfer your information from the IRS, or choose to return to FAFSA on the Web from the IRS Web site. If you do not transfer your information or choose not to return from the IRS Web site, you will have to login to open your saved FAFSA.
- If you transfer your IRS tax information, questions that are populated with tax information will be marked with “Transferred from the IRS.”
In cases of verification, the U. S. Department of Education no longer allows the use of signed tax returns alone. Official tax transcripts are required. If you have questions, please contact the Office of Financial Aid.