Welcome Community Preceptors!
Eastern Virginia Medical School is an academic health center dedicated to achieving excellence in medical and health professions education, research and patient care.
Shaping Tomorrow’s Physicians and Health Professionals
EVMS is different. Since its earliest days, the health of the community has been the school's central focus. The school's mix of full-time faculty members work in concert with physicians and health-care professionals throughout the community to provide a well-rounded educational curriculum to a broad range of students in medical and health-professions programs. This mission cannot be fulfilled without the dedication and expertise that community preceptors volunteer to our students on a daily basis.
How can you help…...
EVMS has increased class sizes in our MD and PA programs in response to the workforce shortages in medicine throughout the country. As a result we need your help! The MD and Health Professions programs have a significant need for community preceptors. Your involvement can be tailored to your schedule from mentoring one student at a time or reshaping the delivery of care through integrating a “team-approach” by mentoring MD and PA students together. Click on the Program Information Link to review the mentoring opportunities throughout EVMS.
Follow the Current Preceptors or New Preceptor links above for information you will need to help train your future colleagues.
Benefits of Becoming a Community Faculty Preceptor
- Giving back to your profession
- Students are a great source of future employees
- Community Faculty Appointment
- Teaching students keeps you current
- EVMS Brickell Library Privileges (online journals)
- Earn AMA PRA Category 2 Credit™
- Subscription to the Teaching Physican, online preceptor resource
- 10% discount at the EVMS Matthews Bookstore
- Students bring enthusiasm, innovated ideas and technological expertise
For additional information on mentoring opportunities, please contact Christine Boswick, 757-446-7186, Boswiccl@evms.edu.