EVMS Psychiatry Residency - Mission Statement
The mission of the Psychiatry Residency Training Program at Eastern Virginia Medical School is to educate physicians to be competent and comfortable as specialists in all aspects of general psychiatry and to function well in clinical practice. The EVMS Residency Training Program in Psychiatry is eclectic in orientation focusing on training clinicians who are competent both in psychotherapeutic and psychobiologic skills. Residents will gain experience in psychiatric research by completing a required research project.
The major goals of the program in addition to those in the mission statement are:
- to instill a sense of ethics and responsibility for the well being of the patient
- to cultivate research interests as well as the ability to critique published research
- to help residents become aware of the limits of their knowledge and the need for continuing medical education
- to help residents to provide other disciplines with knowledge and a basic understanding of psychiatry
- to ensure that residents can lead mental health teams with self confidence, i.e., by accepting input from other team members and utilizing the input to make the decisions for the treatment of the patient