Resident Benefits & Stipend Rates
Annual Stipend Rates
Residents are paid monthly for a total of 12 stipend checks each academic year (direct deposit available/encouraged). Stipend rates are reviewed annually in March of each year; the current guaranteed rates are listed below:
- Post Graduate Year 1 - $53,609
- Post Graduate Year 2 - $55,087
- Post Graduate Year 3 - $56,562
Educational Stipend Rates
These funds may be used by residents for their choices of medical books, journals, software, and professional meetings/membership fees.
Pediatric Residency Benefits
Residents receive 15 days of PAID vacation per year, PLUS an additional 5-6 day PAID holiday break (during either Christmas or New Year's). The amount of vacation that can be taken at one time is determined by the program director.
Sick leave may be taken with full pay and benefits for up to 4 weeks. Maternity and paternity leave provisions are also provided.
Educational leave is granted at the program director's discretion and is approved through the EVMS GME office; this is leave with full pay and benefits, separate from vacation days.
FREE catered meals are served daily at every noon conference and most morning reports; in addition, employee badges serve as meal cards within the CHKD and Senatara cafeterias at no-cost to Residents. Don't forget about the "code comfort" tasty treats and endless supply of coffee available in the residency office suite (CHKD 2nd floor).
Health, Dental, Life and Disability Insurance
Residents may select from the EVMS plan offerings which provides hospital, medical, and major medical benefits to themselves and their immediate family members. Dental coverage through Anthem is offered to our residents at cost.
Term life insurance is available the date a resident actually commences duties (equal to the annual stipend, rounded-up to the next whole thousand). Policy proceeds are payable to the resident's estate or designated beneficiary of their choice. Long term disability insurance is equal to 60% of the gross salary when combined with social security and other benefits.
Professional Liability Insurance
Professional liability insurance covering medical activities clearly defined within the scope of the residency program is provided by EVMS at NO COST to our residents.
Each year, residents have options to receive a variety of personalized work attire - lab coats, shirts, scrubs - FREE of charge.
Issued for daily use during residency, FREE of charge:
- 16GB Wi-Fi Apple iPad (latest generation)
- Alpha-numeric pager
Books and software
Also provided at NO CHARGE:
- PALS and NRP textbooks
- Harriet Lane
- Textbooks/e-books (when available) for all required rotations and many electives
- PREP Curriculum - Pediatric Board study material
Other Resident Benefits
- PAID orientation
- PAID conference travel for Resident presenters
- FREE National and Virginia Chapter AAP membership
- FREE annual events (Donald Lewis Pediatric Update Conference, Fall Resident retreat, American Rover Cruise)
- FREE parking in covered garage connected to the hospital
- DISCOUNTS on ATT & Verizon Wireless phone service
- DISCOUNTS on Ocean Breeze and Busch Gardens theme park tickets
- Large, centrally located resident lounge
- Opportunity to obtain a Certificate in Pediatric Public Health
- Opportunity for extra PAID shifts (in compliance with duty-hours)