PEM Salary & Benefits
In addition to the warm, family environment our program offers, we strive to provide our fellows with an inviting benefit package. We believe our fellows are the fabric of our division and deserve to be treated as such.
Guaranteed Base Salaries*
- Post Graduate Year 4 - $58,620
- Post Graduate Year 5 - $60,112
- Post Graduate Year 6 - $61,602
* salary rates reflect the current academic year and are periodically increased each June by the EVMS GME office.
NOTE - Fellows who are in good standing with the program and on track with their research project(s) will earn an additional $10,000-$12,000 dollars per year during these training years as merit pay or alternatively, fellows can elect to enroll in one of six advanced degree programs whereby tuition and fees are fully paid and merit pay is reduced based upon the cost of the chosen educational program. Additionally, moonlighting opportunities in our off site CHKD urgent care centers are available for fellows in all years of training.
- Paid DEA and state licensing
- $750 annual stipend for continuing medical education (CME) and books
- Shared office space with personal desk and computer
- Full access to EVMS library, online journals and PubMed
- FREE advanced degree opportunities
- Masters of Public Health
- Masters of Health Administration
- Masters of Medical Education
- Certificate in Global Health
Individual & Family Benefits
- 3 weeks of PAID vacation (annual leave) PLUS an additional 5-6 day PAID holiday break during either Christmas or New Year's
- Sick leave may be taken with FULL pay and benefits for up to 4 weeks; maternity and paternity leave provisions are also provided
- Health, Life, Long term disability, Medical liability insurance provided
- Dental insurance available
A matched fellow who moves to the Norfolk, Virginia area to being fellowship will receive up to $500 to assist with relocation expenses.
Paid Conference & Course Participation
- National Pediatric Emergency Medicine Fellows’ Conference (location varies)
- Two day Practical Emergency Airway Course (Baltimore, MD)
- Three day Advanced Emergency Ultrasound Course (location varies)
- Bi-monthly Emergency Simulation Conferences (on-campus Sentara Center for Immersive Learning)
- Critical Procedures in Emergency Medicine Cadaveric Course
- AAP membership and PREP subscription
- Virginia Chapter AAP membership
- Paid international medicine elective
- An immersion medical Spanish course is also available.
- Free adjacent parking to the Children’s Hospital and our division’s office building
- Scrubs, pagers, & a generous allotment of meal vouchers provided at no cost
- Coffee/espresso/cappuccino available in the Pediatric Medical Education office
- Employee discounts on ATT and Verizon wireless services
- Discounted theme park tickets (Ocean Breeze, Busch Gardens)
- Yearly fellows retreat with program director
- Paid 2 or 3 bedroom furnished corporate housing while on toxicology rotation (for those fellows choosing to do the toxicology rotation at Blue Ridge Poison Control Center)
- Note - Blue Ridge Poison Control Center is a 3 hour drive from Norfolk