Sports Medicine specializes in non-operative sports medicine problems and works closely with primary care physicians as well as CHKD's orthopedic surgeons and sports medicine physical therapists.
The following are among the many conditions treated:
- Musculoskeletal injuries for all body parts
- Sprains, strains, dislocations, ligament injuries, tendonitis, apophysitis
- Overuse injuries such as shin splints and stress fractures
- Simple fractures and avulsions
- Running shoe analysis and prescription
- Female athlete triad
- irregular menses
- disordered eating
- Heat illness
- Reflex sympathetic dystrophy
- Activity-related syncope, chest pain or difficulty breathing
- Nutritional and hydration assessment
- Performance enhancing substance counseling
The Division provides Pediatric Lectures, mentorship for the pediatric residents, and clinical instruction for rotations of residents and 3rd year medical students.