EVMS Pediatrics and Children's Hospital of The King's Daughters have grown up together.
Melissa Warfield, MD, the first full-time physician at CHKD, established EVMS Pediatrics in 1961 when the hospital was first opened. Initial pediatric residents came from the University of Virginia Medical School in 1962 when the Residency Training Program was established. The program received full accreditation in spring 1963. Community physicians led by James E. Etheridge, Jr., MD, and William F. Murphy, MD, provided faculty expertise and support. Formal affilition with EVMS began in 1972 when the school was established on the Norfolk Medical Center campus.
Chairmen through the Years
- Gerald Holman, MD (1973 - 1975)
- F. Stanley Porter, MD (1975 - 1989)
- Raymond Adelman, MD (1989 - 1998)
- Arno Zaritsky, MD (1998 - 2001)
- David Oelberg, MD (2001 - 2002) *Interim
- Hal B. Jenson, MD (2002 - 2005)
- Donald Lewis, MD (2005 - 2012)
- C.W. Gowen, MD (2012 - present)