Maternal-Fetal Medicine Fellowship
Our division at Eastern Virginia Medical School (EVMS) is staffed by eight dynamic full time MFM faculty members with expertise in diverse areas of clinical obstetrics. The supporting staff includes fourteen sonographers, five genetic counselors, four diabetes educators, two nurse practitioners, two physician assistants, and a research coordinator.
The unique features of the MFM fellowship at EVMS include:
- Extensive experience with prenatal ultrasonography, including fetal echocardiography
- Rotations scheduled so that each fellow has 18 months of uninterrupted research time to ensure completion of their thesis before graduation
- Possible involvement in obstetric care in developing countries
- Experience with invasive procedures, including CVS
- Availability of Clinical Skill Simulation labs
- Comprehensive experience in medical and surgical complications of obstetrics.
Annually, our office does:
- 16,000 sonographic examinations
- Almost 3,200 genetic consultations
In the past year, we had:
- Over 3,000 deliveries
- 1,300 antenatal admissions
- 600 maternal transports
- Managed 450 pregestational diabetics.
Every week, fellows will benefit from didactics given by one of the eight MFM faculty in the division, or by one of the faculty from the medical school.