Combined Family & Internal Medicine Message from the Director
Welcome to the Eastern Virginia Medical School’s Combined Family Medicine / Internal Medicine Residency website. Eastern Virginia Medical School is located in Norfolk, Virginia which is one of nine cities and seven counties that represent the Hampton Roads area. Our residents have gone on to careers that include:
- Academic positions
- Outpatient primary care
- Hospitalist medicine
- Internal medicine sub-specialties (Cards, GI, Palliative Medicine, and Critical Care)
- Family Medicine sub-specialties (Sports Medicine and Geriatrics)
- Many combined graduates have served in physician shortage areas and several of them have assumed leadership roles.
While the program continues to evolve and now includes immersion in a Patient Centered Medical Home Setting, Point of Care Ultrasound training, clinical experience with the underserved at the Western Tidewater Free Clinic, and the opportunity to earn a Public Health Training Certificate and perform research abroad; combined residents continue to benefit from the basics including:
- Feedback and guidance on the inpatient wards from a group of Combined and General Internal Medicine Faculty who regularly teach in this setting
- Participating regularly in Internal Medicine Morning Report and Family Medicine Provider Meetings
- Taking the Internal Medicine and Family Medicine In-training exams each year
- Completing an integrated four-year curriculum that fulfills Internal Medicine and Family Medicine board expectations.
- Managing their continuity patients at Ghent Family Medicine
As Family Medicine undertakes the Length of Training Pilot to examine whether the discipline of Family Medicine should extend training to four years, EVMS is pleased to have 19 years of experience with our four year Combined FM / IM residency.
All the best.
James G. Dixon, M.D.