Combined Family & Internal Medicine Message from the Director
Welcome to the Eastern Virginia Medical School’s Combined Family Medicine / Internal Medicine Residency website. Although not listed above, our residents, current and former, are our number one residency highlight Y1 link. Our residents have gone on to careers that include academic positions, outpatient primary care, hospitalist medicine, internal medicine subspecialties (Cards, GI, and Geriatrics) and Family Medicine sub-specialties (sports medicine and geriatrics). Many combined graduates have served in physician shortage areas and several of them have assumed leadership roles.
While the program continues to evolve and now includes emersion in a Patient Centered Medical Home Setting, Point of Care Ultrasound training Y2 link, clinical experience with the underserved at the Western Tidewater Free Clinic, and the opportunity to earn a Public Health Training Certificate Y3 link and perform research abroad; combined residents continue to benefit from the basics including:
- Feedback and guidance on the inpatient wards from a group of Combined and General Internal Medicine Faculty who regular teach in this setting
- Participating regularly in Internal Medicine Morning Report and Family Medicine Practice Management Meetings Y4 link pictures
- Taking the Internal Medicine and Family Medicine In-service exams each year
- Completing an integrated four year curriculum Y5 link that includes fulfills Internal Medicine and Family Medicine boards expectations.
- Managing their continuity patients in the Family Practice Center Y6 link pictures
As Family Medicine undertakes the Length of Training Pilot to examine whether the discipline of Family Medicine should extend training to four years, EVMS is pleased to have 17 years of experience with our four year Combined FM / IM residency.
All the best.