Internal Medicine: Endocrinology Fellowship
The Endocrinology Fellowship is a fully accredited two-year program leading to eligibility for certification by the American Board of Internal Medicine, Subspecialty of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism. Eligible applicants must have received their MD or DO degree from a medical or osteopathic school approved by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education. All applicants must have completed training to qualify for board eligibility in Internal Medicine.
The Department seeks individuals who have excelled in all aspects of undergraduate and graduate medical training, including courses in basic science and clinical medicine, standardized examinations, and research. Participation in valuable medical and non-medical extracurricular activities is also required.
In the U.S. News and World Report's Best Hospitals 2014-15 list, the diabetes & endocrinology program at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital (SNGH) was recognized as "high performing," meaning the quality of care ranked in the top 25 percent nationwide. EVMS faculty help staff SNGH — the top-rated hospital in Virginia — and its diabetes & endocrinology program.
Endocrinology Program Highlights
The goal of the Postgraduate Training Program at EVMS is to produce endocrinologists who are well trained in all of the following components of metabolic disease:
- Total patient management in Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes mellitus, including their complications.
- Endocrine management of diseases of the pituitary, adrenal, thyroid and reproductive systems.
- Parathyroid and metabolic bone disease.
- Common metabolic abnormalities, such as the dyslipidemias.
- Expertise in diagnostic thyroid ultrasonography, as well as its use in fine-needle aspiration.
- Expertise in the interpretation of bone density studies
- Administrative aspects of provision of endocrine care services with particular emphasis on process improvement and resource management.
- Participation in biomedical research and the acquisition of expertise in protocol design and medical writing.
The successful graduate will possess all of the tools necessary to carry out the duties and responsibilities of an outstanding endocrinologist and to provide optimal patient care in either an academic or community environment.