Example Course List
SCSIL excels in customizing experiences or creating new ones to meet your unique needs. Please contact us to discuss your ideas and any additional information you might need.
- Hands-on sessions to review history, physical examination, communication, interpersonal skills and the clinical application of knowledge.
- Individualized and immediate verbal feedback including patient satisfaction and compliance. See Appendix for sample communication items
- Individualized and immediate computerized feedback including rationale and references from content experts.
- Clinical Office, practice and hospital assessments using “mystery patients.”
- Individualized Needs Assessments for health providers.
- CME Courses for clinical application of knowledge with immediate feedback.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Hands-on sessions to review communication and interpersonal skills and enhance knowledge of the principles of communication.
- Office and Business Assessments using “mystery clients/customers.”
- Individualized Needs Assessments for business professionals.
- Communication and Active Listening Skills (CALS) workshops for employees where customer satisfaction is critical to the success of the business.
- Teen Individualized Professional Skills (TIPS) Programs for young adults to refine communication skills to increase proficiency during job interviews.
- Teen Individualized Professional Skills (TIPSII) Programs for young adults to develop communication skills to work with adults and customers.
- Interviewing Programs for at-risk persons to refine communication skills to increase proficiency during job interviews.
- Medical School Applicant communication skills – refining interview skills to medical school and gaining confidence.
- Effective Telephone Skills - workshops are provided for those interactions which depend on efficient and effective telephone skills. Using standardized callers, telephone skills for interviewing, counseling and educating are trained and assessed.
Geriatric Assessment Workshops
These skill-building sessions utilize special tool kits designed to assist busy physicians in the office-based diagnosis and management of common geriatric conditions.
SANE / Forensic Nurse Training
These skill-building sessions utilize SPs and GTAs in a variety of roles, from “victim” case presenters to pelvic exam/rape kit teachers, and judges, attorneys and juries in court case simulations.
Psychiatric Interview for Primary Care
Improve your current psychiatric knowledge and interviewing skills through practice sessions followed with immediate feedback from trained SP/Teaching Associates in PIPC.
Patient Satisfaction Workshops
Individuals or teams learn and practice specific communication techniques which align with extraordinary patient-centered communication, including managing perceptions and expectations, developing core techniques and their application to the in-patient or out-patient context including front desk interactions, MA interactions, and provider interactions. Discussions and integration of methods that successful service operations share and developing the use of collaborative language and negotiating a shared plan of action and practice techniques specific to challenging situation.
Clinical Skills Assessment for Residents (GME)
The Sentara Center for Simulation and Immersive Learning can provide an interdisciplinary, clinically based exercise that assesses a resident’s current clinical and interpersonal skills. Upon successful completion of a patient based assessment, the resident will receive scores and an individualized educational prescription from content checklists that were developed by EVMS faculty, interpersonal scores from objective criteria, ACGME scores and professionalism ratings. These checklists consist of items from the history and physical examination and interpersonal skills that are necessary to competently evaluate and manage the patient. An item analysis for each checklist, standard deviation and means are provided using a database of scores from student and resident assessments. Assessments are recorded. The digital recordings can be used for stimulated recall exercises with the resident to assess clinical reasoning processes.
Time Management Workshops
Effective patient-centered communication in a 15 minute office visit in a combined format of didactic and practice sessions.
Pain Management Workshops
A combined format of didactic and practice sessions.
- Foley Catheters
- IV placement
- Airway Management
- Central Venous Lines
- Laparoscopic Skills
- Endoscopic Skills
- Chest Tube Placement
- NG Tube Placement
- Arterial Line Placement
- And more
Team-training using a clinical scenario and typically a patient simulator manikin as context. Delivered at the Simulation Center or insitu.