Letters and packages of most any shape and size can be made into lethal weapons using hazardous biological, chemical, energetic or incendiary materials. DO NOT MOVE OR OPEN SUSPICIOUS PACKAGES.
How to Identify Suspicious Packages and Letters:
Some characteristics of suspicious packages and letters include the following:
- Excessive postage
- Handwritten or poorly typed addresses
- Incorrect titles
- Title, but no name
- Misspellings of common words
- Oily stains, discolorations or odor
- No return address
- Excessive weight
- Lopsided or uneven envelope
- Protruding wires or aluminum foil
- Visual distractions
- Ticking sound
- Excessive security material such as masking tape, string, etc.
- Marked with restrictive endorsements, such as "Personal" or "Confidential"
- Shows a city or state in the postmark that does not match the return address
To view the Suspicious Package Response Guide click Here.
Click Mail Package Policy to view.